Today I awoke with a dilemma on my hands. . . which unfinished project to work on. I bounced from Signe's room, to the laundry room, to the living room, to the guest room and back again, but every project in progress needed supplies--and I didn't want to run to the fabric store or the hardware store, I just wanted to get to work on something. I finally settled on painting trim in the kitchen/family room. Mostly because my husband suggested it might be time. . . since we put that trim up nearly two years ago! But once I got all dressed in painting clothes I changed my mind. I wanted something with a good before and after picture, and while I could post pictures of the kitchen remodel, I didn't want to post after pictures until it was actually all done AND decorated. Which left one other thing I could work on. Something I bought supplies for 1 year and 4 months ago. Clearly I need to work on completing the projects I start. It is one of my resolutions for the year actually--Finish all half done projects! I am very good at the starting part.
A year ago last November I decided I was tired of the black upholstered dining chairs in my kitchen. So I went out and bought these fabrics (which I also planned to use for accents in my family room):
I picked them to match my Turquoise Fire King dishes:
And this rug (Jordan, Porcelain Blue, in 9X12) I bought at Pottery Barn:
Then I promptly sewed a slipcover for ONE of my EIGHT chairs. And though I loved how it turned out, I never finished the other seven. A year goes by, our family adopts a springer spaniel, said springer chews up the legs to my dining chairs (among other things), and the chairs get replaced without ever being recovered.
But the good news is, the new chairs needed slipcovers. I bought the new table (Provence) and chairs (Anna Slipcover Chair) at World Market a few months ago, but they were out of the slipcovers I liked. Luckily I still had yards and yards of Robins Egg Blue Linen (Waverly). So today I set out to make all six covers in one shot. Otherwise I feared history would repeat itself. And I almost made it. Now I have six chairs that look like this:
Maybe tomorrow I will finish the box pleat skirts for the bottoms of them, and give them all a good ironing. . . or maybe a year from now. Let's shoot for tomorrow!