Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

A Softer Shade of Sunny

Friday, October 29, 2010
Living in the northwest, I appreciate a sunny shade of yellow.  My house is, in fact, painted a pale yellow.  In all the right places, yellow makes me smile. . .

But somehow, these dining chairs weren't making me smile.  And really, are they yellow? Are they gold?



I snagged them at the Goodwill.  I actually had to ask a lady sitting on one if she intended to purchase it, because I wanted it.  Turns out she was just waiting for her husband.  And judging by the look on her face, the brightness of these chairs blinded her to their potential.  But not me.



One thing was certain--they needed a little help before they could really shine.



A coat of white paint, antique glaze, and a new outfit went a long way to brightening this pair up. . . or toning them down. . .



Now they are all kinds of lovely.  Their new, but economical, upholstery gives the pair a more casual style than the gold velvet.



Bleached drop cloth never looked so good. . . unless you count the hundred and one other people who are creating great pieces with the aid of inexpensive canvas and a little craft paint.



As usual, now that the transformation is complete I realize how great they look in my house.  Too bad they are not long for this room.



They are headed to the shop, along with the pillow and cute little drop top table. . .



. . . which used to look like this:




Although I originally purchased it for my daughter's room, I think it needs to sit between these chairs and look adorable.  And in case it isn't small enough, the top has a release knob that lets the top drop to the side and store away in small spaces.



Luckily I took lots of pictures to remind myself how cute they all are.



One of these days I will purchase furniture I can actually leave in my house.  You might have noticed this room is lacking a little somthin' somthin'. . . like a sofa, or a chair or two, or tables.  But the rug? That's staying!


16 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Your makeovers look outstanding...love those GW chairs! Come by and show your chairs and little table off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope to see ya there!

Blessings,
Linda

Courtenay@Signal Hill Interiors said...

But what it lacks in furniture, it makes up for in potential! I'm jealous of all your space. And I'm crazy about those chairs! Crazy I tell you!

KimMalk said...

These are so beautiful! I wouldn't have seen the potential in them either (and I've seen this style for sale a lot). Thanks for sharing your vision. Nice work.

Jeni said...

Those are really beautiful! What talent you have!

Restyled Vintage said...

Those chairs are super cute, but that pillow...that is amazing, I LOVE it!

xx Karen

Marianne said...

These look beautiful! I love how crisp they look all dressed in white.
Someone will snag these up in a hurry I am sure.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

These are just lovely. The whole space is lovely and I know how it feels to fall in love with something only to send it away to the shop. There's a lot of satisfaction in something you worked hard on selling, though, right? Thanks for linking up! I love your blog!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I love what you did. You have a great blog going, too. I just started following! Linda

Brenda in Sunny SoCal. said...

The chairs are gorgeous, but I fell in L.O.V.E with the rug and courtains, what's the chance for the rug to still have a manufacturers tag with model number intact?

Jenni said...

Brenda - the curtains were from Target last year, and the rug was from Pottery Barn last year. It was called Jordan Slate Blue. Hope that's helpful. And thanks for the compliments!

Remodelaholic said...

Jenni- This is absolutely lovely! I would love to feature this on my blog if you are interested. Check out my blog www.remodelaholic.com. It usually brings you quite a few readers! You can reply to the comment if you are interested!

Cassity

Brenda in Sunny SoCal. said...

Thanks for the info!

Urban Farmgirl said...

LOVE these! You did a fantastic job!

Stop by my blog if you get a chance...I'm giving away a $50 Pottery Barn gift card, and it closes tomorrow!

But back to your chairs, FANTASTIC job!

~mary~

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Visiting from remodelaholic, these chairs are divine! Great work :)

Unknown said...

I love the pleated bottom on those chair covers!! It makes those chairs look even more fabulous.
Excellent job!

Carrie@221vision.com said...

Love the chairs!! :)

 
◄Design by Pocket